Translate

Sunday, October 2, 2011

TGIF - Studying 2 Give vs Studying 2 Know

Free 
Gift AnalysisChurch GrowthChurch SignsBookstoreContact UsSubscribe

Today's Prayer
Dear God, Your Word tells me (1 Corinthians 2:14-15) that “the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: 4 they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, bcoz they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.” And I know that your Word “is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even 2 the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). 

Please give me spiritual discernment through the power and indwelling of your Holy Spirit within me and through the wisdom of your Word. As I pray and read your Word, and as I rely on your guidance each day, I pray that my eyes will C, my heart will feel, my ears will hear, and my mind will comprehend what u are teaching me…and that I will be able 2 discern what is of the your spirit and what is not; what is good and what is evil; what is truth and what is a lie. May my spirit bear witness w/my brothers and sisters in Christ. Please protect us from the evil one and his tricks, keep our families safe from all harm, and direct our paths each day. I pray these things in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
 
Studying 2 Give Versus Studying 2 Know
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2, by Os Hillman
10-01-2011

"You diligently study the Scriptures bcoz u think that by them u possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about Me, yet ... u refuse 2 come 2 Me 2 have life" (John 5:38-40).


Sometimes u would think the trinity is Father, Son and Holy Scriptures instead of the Holy Spirit. There can be a tendency in Christianity 2 give so much focus upon the Holy Scriptures that we fail 2 acknowledge the role of the Holy Spirit in our daily activity.

There is also a second danger. We must be careful in studying the scriptures 4 the sake of giving 2 others instead of desiring more of God 4 ourselves. This is particularly dangerous 4 the professional Christian worker who is under continued pressure 2 feed and teach His people. If we are not careful, this process becomes a religious exercise of production, instead of a time of seeking, learning and experiencing His presence.

Jesus told His disciples that when He left He would be leaving the Holy Spirit which would help them live victoriously 4 Him. "All this I have spoken while still w/u. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach u all things and will remind u of everything I have said 2 u" (John 14:25-27).

"For John baptized w/water, but in a few days u will be baptized w/the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:5). No longer would converts be baptized just w/water, but now they would be baptized w/the Holy Spirit. Baptism means we are immersed w/water. Now we will be immersed in the Holy Spirit.

It is the Holy Spirit that draws us into intimacy w/the Father. He prompts us w/a Scripture verse 2 share w/a friend or co-worker. He endues us w/the power 2 live 4 Him and not in our own strength. Truly the Holy Spirit is the third person in the trinity that must be acknowledged and obeyed as we seek 2 live 4Christ. He is also our teacher and guide.

Today, why not ask the Holy Spirit 2 baptize u afresh w/the power 2 know Him, not just know about Him.


Today God Is First (TGIF) devotional message, Copyright by Os Hillman, Marketplace Leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment